ABOUT WHITE LILY FLATS Georgia-born James Allen Smith came to the war-shaken town as a young man, around 1873, and founded a grain business on Gay Street, followed by a small mill on Broad. The Knoxville City Mills, of which he was a cofounder, was reorganized as the J. Allen Smith Co. They built the big building alongside Central in 1885; English industrial manufacturer W.J. Savage fitted it out with machinery, including a big roller mill, new technology at the time. It was a full-service flour factory; they manufactured not only the flour but the elm-stave barrels to pack it in. For a long time, it was pretty easy to find; its 175-foot smokestack was one of the tallest structures in East Tennessee. The smokestack was torn down in 1943, after the plant went electric. They made several brands, various grades of flours for different purposes, some of them with odd names. One, a "special baker's cake flour," was called Evidence. Another, for pastries, was called Jasco. A cookie flour was
This property is not currently displayed as for sale or rent on Zillow. This may be different from what's on other websites or public sources.


