This home was built around 1874-1875, after talking with the local historian, early land purchases show a widow purchased the property in 1875. The Historian explained typically back then if a woman purchased a property usually a home was already built, this would mean the home was built just 10 years after the Civil War ended making the home approx. 138 years old. Pretty Neat. The Civil War could be the very reason she was a widow. Early American architecture through out the home. The 1st floor features 10ft. ceilings, and 6 rooms including: a Laundry Room, Full Bathroom, 1 Bed Room, Dinning Room, Kitchen, and Family/Living Room. 2nd Floor features 4 rooms including: another Full Bathroom and 3 bedrooms. The South Bedroom has a pantry style doorway entrance into the attic. Neighborhood Description Although the village of West Alexandria was not incorporated until 1836, there were log cabins here by 1818. They were built at the top of a slope that descended to Twin Creek on the east. It is from this creek that the area is called the Twin Valley. William Kesling owned the land on the north side of the Cumberland Road and in 1818, William Alexander purchased the land on the south side. Kesling was more interested in farming while Alexander wanted to start a settlement. Each man set off twenty lots on their side of the road and the first lot was sold in 1820. Village offices are located in the Town Hall once called the Community Hall. This building has served many purposes. The basement has been the site of banquets, skating rink, dances, shooting range, jail, and fire department. Presently the Lions Club meets in the large basement room and schedules any other activities for the area. The main floor was used for plays, a basketball court, theater and now houses the library and Archive. For a time the firemen and then police utilized the stage area but now each have their own buildings. The first church in town was the Lutheran/Presbyterian (later German Reformed and now United Church of Christ). Later the German Reformed built a church of their own. The Progressive (First) Brethren church moved to town in 1888, the Church of the Brethren in 1934. Since then other churches added are the First Baptist, Pentecostal and Community Christian. The local churches have formed a group, West Alexandria Churches Organized for Community Action. They have several community services each year. The local Food Bank is located in the basement of the United Church of Christ. In 1817, the first burial was made in the town cemetery, located just west of the Lutheran Church. Jacob Parker added land behind the church and Jacob Hell added land south of the old cemetery. The cemetery is no longer in use and part of it is now Peace Park.
This property is off market, which means it's not currently listed for sale or rent on Zillow. This may be different from what's available on other websites or public sources.


